Food safety measures need improving at a Japanese restaurant in Canton, according to a Cherokee County health inspector.
Hana Japanese Restaurant, 147 Reinhardt College Parkway, scored a 60/U on its recent routine inspection, marking a second failing score in less than a year.
The health inspector said management did not have adequate control over food safety practices of the staff and needed re-training in those duties.
For example, employees were not following proper food safety practices. An employee working with food, and one in charge of cleaning dishes, were not washing their hands at the required times, the inspector said.
Several employee beverages and open beverage containers were in the food prep area and other restricted areas. The employee hand sinks had no soap or paper towels.
Points were also taken off for other code violations that involved food. Raw eggs were stored over raw, ready-to-eat fish for sushi. A container of sushi rice was away from temperature controls but had no time markings to indicate how long it had been left out. Some cold rice was discarded because it had been left out on a counter too long.
Also, wiping cloths were being used without sanitizer, and the dishwasher had lime build-up and needed cleaning.
Hana Japanese scored a 68/U on a routine inspection in November, then rebounded with an 88/B on a follow-up inspection later that month.
The restaurant will be re-inspected. Management could not be reached for comment.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
- Bedoe’s Bar & Grille, 6115 Hickory Flat Highway, Canton. 91/A
- Mandarin House II, 1750 Marietta Highway, Canton. 83/B
- Reagan’s Burger Barn, 300 Village Center Drive, Woodstock. 91/A
- Tacos & Beer, 5335 Old Highway 5, Woodstock. 87/B
- Viva Mexico, 130 Prominence Point Parkway, Canton. 86/B
- Cazadores Mexican Restaurant, 3165 Johnson Ferry Road, Marietta. 91/A
- Frank’s Cajun and Soul Kitchen, 1175 Powder Springs St., Marietta. 85/B
- Pollo Tropical, 840 Barrett Parkway, Kennesaw. 100/A
- Shillings on the Square, 19 N. Park Square, Marietta. 95/A
- Wings Fiesta, 2500 S. Cobb Drive, Smyrna. 80/B
- Brick House Restaurant, 885 Bouldercrest Drive , Atlanta. 98/A
- Brio Tuscan Grille, 700 Ashwood Parkway, Atlanta. 87/B
- El Azteca, 1412 Dunwoody Village Parkway, Atlanta. 73/C
- Magic Wings, 2549 Flat Shoals Road, Decatur. 93/A
- S & S Cafeteria, 3583 Chamblee Tucker Road, Atlanta. 81/B
- Little Alley Steak, 955 Canton St., Roswell. 100/A
- OK Café, 1284 W. Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta. 96/A
- Pricci, 500 Pharr Road, Atlanta. 100/A
- Salt Factory, 952 Canton St., Roswell. 97/A
- Slate Table and Tap, 1132 Canton St., Roswell. 91/A
- Asma’s Cuisine, 3099 Breckinridge Blvd., Duluth. 86/B
- Blu Fin Sushi, 2863 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Duluth. 89/B
- Cracker Barrel, 75 Celebration Drive, Suwanee. 95/A
- Parma Tavern, 3350 Buford Drive, Buford. 89/B
- The Diner, 730 Indian Trail, Lilburn. 86/B
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)