Three different coolers were on the blink at a Stone Mountain restaurant, resulting in elevated food temperatures and a failing health score.
Though service technicians repaired the appliances during the inspection, King’s Southern Delight, 4958 Redan Road, still received a 62/U.
DeKalb County also shut down the restaurant because it was the second consecutive failure on a routine inspection.
In one cooler, temperatures of butter, raw fish and cooked ribs were too high. The ribs were discarded, and the fish and butter were placed in the freezer to cool down.
A dairy cooler recorded temperatures near 60 degrees, resulting in the disposal of potato salad and half ‘n half. In a third cooler, sliced cheese and eggs were removed because they were too warm.
Other foods were not kept hot enough. Yams, fried pork chops, spaghetti and pinto beans were not on hot-holding surfaces and had to be re-heated to prevent contamination.
In other violations, rice and gravy were uncovered in a steam well, and the pork chops were uncovered on the stove top.
The inspector also found rust on prep tables in the main kitchen and in the front service area, and leaking sink pipes that flooded the kitchen floor when in use.
The facility also needed cleaning. Floors and walls were covered with grease and dirt debris, and there were flies and roaches in the facility.
King’s Southern Delight scored a 61/U on a routine inspection in May, then rebounded with an 84/B on a follow-up inspection. The restaurant will be reinspected within two weeks.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
- Chicago Pizza, 3150 Highlands Parkway, Smyrna. 84/B
- China King, 2909 Austell Road, Marietta. 87/B
- Cosmopolitan Restaurant, 2475 Delk Road, Marietta. 98/A
- El Nopal Mexican Restaurant, 3100 Creekside Village Drive, Kennesaw. 96/A
- Five Guys Burgers & Fries, 1757 East-West Connector, Austell. 100/A
- Doc Chey’s Noodle House, 1556 N. Decatur Road, Atlanta. 90/A
- Kathmandu Kitchen & Grill, 926 Montreal Road, Clarkston. 80/B
- Main Moon, 4418 Hugh Howell Road, Tucker. 85/B
- The Capital Grille, 94 Perimeter Center W., Dunwoody. 85/B
- Wingin It Bistro, 2575 Snapfinger Road, Decatur. 76/C
- Fajita Grill, 3952 Canton Highway, Cumming. 92/A
- House of Chen, 5430 McGinnis Ferry Road, Alpharetta. 88/B
- Mestizo Southwest Grill, 3050 Keith Bridge Road, Cumming. 97/A
- Pepperoni’s Pizza, 5063 Post Road, Cumming. 93/A
- Yuan Li Chinese, 5110 Browns Bridge Road, Cumming. 99/A
- Café at the Corner, 636 S. Central Ave., Hapeville. 90/A
- Deli & Seafood, 5084 Old National Highway, College Park. 86/B
- George’s, 1041 N. Highland Ave., Atlanta. 90/A
- Han’s Express, 2345 Cascade Road, Atlanta. 87/B
- Highland Bakery, 1180 Peachtree St., Atlanta. 79/C
- Blue Fin Sushi, 2863 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Duluth. 82/B
- Frontera Mex-Mex Grill, 3100 Highway 78, Snellville. 82/B
- Jin Mi Jung, 2863 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Duluth. 87/B
- Kimbap Nara, 3312 Peachtree Industrial Blvd., Duluth. 81/B
- Yuka Roll and Pho, 1197 Old Peachtree Road, Suwanee. 90/A
- by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)