A Japanese restaurant in Suwanee failed a recent health inspection because the manager in charge was unfamiliar with food safety procedures.
The owner of Waraku Japanese, 3131 Lawrenceville Suwanee Road, was not at the facility during the routine inspection and the person left in charge had no knowledge of the employee health policy, said the Gwinnett County health inspector.
That and numerous health code violations led the inspector to question whether food safety duties were being properly performed at the restaurant. Waraku Japanese received a 54/U.
Food temperatures were not being maintained, according to the inspection report. One cooler wasn’t working properly so eggs, pork broth, butter, bean paste and heavy cream were all discarded.
And containers of hot soups were allowed to cool too much and had to be reheated to safe temperatures.
Food items were not separated to protect against cross contamination. Raw beef was stored above beer and sauces, and raw chicken was placed above cabbage and other vegetables in the walk-in cooler.
Among other code violations, the dishwasher wasn’t dispensing enough sanitizer to disinfect the dishes. The staff was instructed to manually wash the dishes until the machine could be repaired.
In contrast, the concentration of sanitizer used to wipe down tables and counters was too strong and had to be diluted.
No one at the restaurant would comment about the current health score, but the restaurant will be re-inspected within two weeks. Previous inspection scores were 81/B and 87/B.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
American Grill & Wings, 4652 Jonesboro Road, Forest Park. 91/A
Benefield’s, 6324 Old Dixie Road, Jonesboro. 83/B
China Garden, 11179 Tara Blvd., Hampton. 88/B
Hong Kong City, 5656 Jonesboro Road, Lake City. 88/B
Ms. Movale’s Eatery, 1250 Highway 138, Riverdale. 90/A
- China Sun Express, 1 Galleria Parkway, Atlanta. 79/C
- Fresh To Order, 1260 Cumberland Mall, Atlanta. 74/C
- Peace Café, 3805 Canton Place, Kennesaw. 94/A
- Sam’s Southern Eatery, 4383 Wade Green Road, Kennesaw. 100/A
- Wings Café & Deli, 821 Concord Road, Smyrna. 88/B
- DaBomb Sports Grill, 2912 Evans Mill Road, Lithonia. 97/A
- Halal Pizza, 420 N. Indian Creek Drive, Clarkston. 80/B
- Northern China Eatery, 5141 Buford Highway, Doraville. 70/C
- The Midway, 552 Flat Shoals Ave., Atlanta. 83/B
- Wild Ginger Thai Cuisine, 2201 Savory Drive, Atlanta. 83/B
- Buckhead Diner, 3073 Piedmont Road, Atlanta. 100/A
- Fogo De Chao Churrascaria, 3101 Piedmont Road, Atlanta. 100/A
- Live Oak Café, 3445 Peachtree Road, Atlanta. 100/A
- Persepolis Persian Cuisine, 6435 Roswell Road, Atlanta. 93/A
- Royal Oak Pub, 1155 Mt. Vernon Highway, Sandy Springs. 99/A
- Dooley’s Southern Stone Pizza, 1862 Auburn Road, Dacula. 88/B
- Footprints Café, 706 Grayson Highway, Lawrenceville. 86/B
- Iron Horse Tavern, 29 Jones St., Norcross. 96/A
- Mori House, 4325 Suwanee Dam Road, Suwanee. 77/C
- Tanner’s Grille and Bar, 3421 Ridge Road, Buford. 96/A
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)