Zuma, a sushi and sake bar in Atlanta’s Toco Hill Shopping Center, failed a recent health inspection because management lacked knowledge and control of food safety regulations.
The DeKalb County inspector said the person in charge during the inspection wasn’t familiar with proper temperature holding techniques, hand washing procedures, the employee health policy or documentation for parasite destruction.
The restaurant at 2899 N. Druid Hills Road scored a 48/U.
Points were taken off because the manager washed his hands then immediately picked up a paper towel and wiped his face and mouth without re-washing his hands, the inspector said.
The sushi chef wiped up the prep area with a wet cloth then used the same cloth to clean a knife. Another employee was observed preparing an egg roll with bare hands.
In addition, food was not stored correctly, according to the report. Raw fish was stored in a cooler over ready to eat vegetables. Rice, noodles, raw beef and soup broth were all stored uncovered in another cooler.
In other violations, the ice maker and several kitchen shelves were not clean. Pans were being kept in a sink set aside for washing meat, which could potentially cause bacteria cross-contamination, the inspector said.
Zuma management could not be reached for comment. The restaurant will be re-inspected. Previous scores were 80/B and 87/B.
In other news, food services at Crestview Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2800 Cleveland Ave., Atlanta, improved its rating with a follow-up inspection score of 99/A.
Here are other recent inspection scores from area restaurants.
- Annie Laura’s Kitchen, 6922 Highway 85, Riverdale. 91/A
- Café Nostalgia, 555 Highway 138, Riverdale. 87/B
- El Noa Noa South Cuban Restaurant, 6640 Tara Blvd., Jonesboro. 91/A
- Great Wraps, 1135 1000 Southlake Circle, Morrow. 93/A
- Oakwood Café, 16 Forest Parkway, Forest Park. 97/A
- Canton Wings & More, 3190 Canton Road, Marietta. 98/A
- Happy Panda, 4430 Wade Green Road, Kennesaw. 87/B
- Ruby Tuesday, 400 Barrett Parkway, Kennesaw. 94/A
- Tijuana Joe’s Catina, 690 Johnson Ferry Road, Marietta. 93/A
- Vespucci’s,4805 Canton Road, Marietta. 97/A
- Broadway Café, 2157 Briarcliff Road, Tucker. 80/B
- Coco Cabana, 4073 Lavista Road, Tucker. 87/B
- Great Wall Chinese Restaurant, 2538 Bouldercrest Road, Atlanta. 90/A
- Pita Palace, 1658 Lavista Road, Tucker. 86/B
- Sun in my Belly, 2161 College Ave., Decatur. 86/B
- India Chef, 720 Holcomb Bridge Road, Roswell. 92/A
- Minas Emporium, 8610 Roswell Road, Sandy Springs. 90/A
- Moe’s Original BBQ, 349 14th St., Atlanta. 90/A
- New Saigon, 10820 Abbotts Bridge Road, Johns Creek. 92/A
- STAX Burger Bar, 690 Holcomb Bridge Road, Roswell. 94/A
- Best Wings, 2522 Cruse Road, Lawrenceville. 73/C
- Happy China, 851 Oak Road, Lawrenceville. 96/A
- Kani House, 3208 Buford Drive, Buford. 91/A
- Kacey’s Home Cooking, 520 W. Pike St., Lawrenceville. 95/A
- Oceans Grill & Bar, 5955 Jimmy Carter Blvd., Norcross. 80/B
– by Laura Berrios for the Food & More blog
(Commenting is closed on this post.)